HBase, mail # dev - Should compaction be triggered even if User periodically flushes

+
ramkrishna vasudevan 2013-04-05, 09:00
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-04-05, 11:20
Re: Should compaction be triggered even if User periodically flushes
ramkrishna vasudevan 2013-04-05, 16:50
Hi JM
Thanks for your reply.  My concern is not with respect to compaction
happening when a region is opening in another RS, my point was though the
flushes were happening and more storefiles are created
by user initiated flushing, the compaction were not getting triggered.
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:

> Hi Ram,
>
> What do you think is wrong with the approach below?
>
> Doing the compaction when the region is opened in another RS will
> improve data locality.
>
> JM
>
> 2013/4/5 ramkrishna vasudevan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Hi devs
> >
> > If user periodically flushes the memstore we keep creating Store files.
> >  Now if the number of store files  satisfies the compaction policy we
> dont
> > do compaction.
> >
> > We print the msg saying compaction_requested=true but do not include into
> > the compactsplitthread.
> >
> > But when the RS goes down and the region gets opened in another RS as
> part
> > of postOpenDeployTasks we do compaction because the store file count has
> > satisfied the compaction criteria.
> >
> > What could be the right approach here?
> >
> > Regards
> > Ram