Hadoop >> mail # user >> Which release to use?

Re: Which release to use?

On Jul 15, 2011, at 7:58 AM, Michael Segel wrote:

> So while you can use the Apache release, it may not make sense for your organization to do so. (Said as I don the flame retardant suit...)

I obviously disagree. *grin* Apache Hadoop 0.20.203.0 is the most stable and well tested release and has been deployed on Yahoo's 40,000 Hadoop machines in clusters of up to 4,500 machines and has been used extensively for running production work loads. We are actively working to make the install and deployment of Apache Hadoop easier

In terms of commercial support, HortonWorks is absolutely supporting the Apache releases. IBM is also supporting the Apache releases:

http://davidmenninger.ventanaresearch.com/2011/05/18/ibm-chooses-hadoop-unity-not-shipping-the-elephant/

So lack of commercial support isn't a problem...

-- Owen