MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster

Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster
Three year old blade center is ok. A three year old blade is probably a 64
bit machine. 2 to 4 gb RAM 2 SCSI disks. Maybe two socket two core. Two
blade centers is about 8u or a quarter cabinet and you can find a hosting
provider in your price range.

Especially if you can get the hardware at a low initial cost you crush the
cloud providers. Buying your own gear takes about a year to recoup costs
over amazons pay per use model.

Blade centers are usually 20 to 30 amp fully loaded though so if your
crushing word count at home your power bill is gonna get $.
On Friday, December 21, 2012, Mark Kerzner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> True!
>
> I am thinking of either my (small) office, or actually hosting for under
$500/month.

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Lance Norskog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> You will also be raided by the DEA- too much power for a residence.
>>
>> On 12/20/2012 07:56 AM, Ted Dunning wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Michael Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>> While Ted ignores that the world is going to end before X-Mas, he does
hit the crux of the matter head on.
>>> If you don't have a place to put it, the cost of setting it up would
kill you, not to mention that you can get newer hardware which is better
suited for less.
>>> Having said that... if you live in the frozen tundra like Montana, or
some place like ... er Canada or Siberia... , it may make more sense to use
it to heat your home with it.
>>> Just think of the side benefits from all that potential additional
compute power....  :-P

>> I can say from experience that the sound of a bunch of servers in a home
setting is a novel one that is probably unlike anything you have known
before.
>> If you haven't experienced that, then taking on these servers could be
classified as novelty seeking behavior.