HBase >> mail # user >> EC2 Elastic MapReduce HBase install recommendations

Re: EC2 Elastic MapReduce HBase install recommendations
M7 is not Apache HBase, or any HBase. It is a proprietary NoSQL datastore
with (I gather) an Apache HBase compatible Java API.

As for running HBase on EC2, we recently discussed some particulars, see
the latter part of this thread: http://search-hadoop.com/m/rI1HpK90gu where
I hijack it. I wouldn't recommend launching HBase as part of an EMR flow
unless you want to use it only for temporary random access storage, and in
which case use m2.2xlarge/m2.4xlarge instance types. Otherwise, set up a
dedicated HBase backed storage service on high I/O instance types. The
fundamental issue is IO performance on the EC2 platform is fair to poor.

I have also noticed a large difference in baseline block device latency if
using an old Amazon Linux AMI (< 2013) or the latest AMIs from this year.
Use the new ones, they cut the latency long tail in half. There were some
significant kernel level improvements I gather.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)