HBase >> mail # dev >> deprecating (old) metrics in favor of metrics2 framework

Re: deprecating (old) metrics in favor of metrics2 framework
He and I had discussed something close to #2.  (This is my understanding
and is partially based on Todd's irc thoughts so feel free to correct me if
I get anything wrong)

The reflection option seems like it would be a big perf hit.  Reflection
basically means that nothing ever gets inlined so all function calls into
metrics2 code would be very expensive.  Since it seems like we are adding
more and more instrumentation this perf impact would only grow.
 In addition as more hadoop versions come out all of our reflection code
would get much more complicated and brittle.

The conditionally loaded jar would be nice in that the JIT would only see
one version of the factory classes on the classpath and everything could be
optimized just like any other jvm run jit'd code. In addition there are
other places that we use reflection to do things conditionally and a
conditionally loaded jar would be nice.

(putting this on jira as well.)