Hadoop >> mail # general >> Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-

Re: Defining Hadoop Compatibility -revisiting-

On May 16, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> Allen,
>
> There are few things in Hadoop in CDH that are not in trunk,
> branch-20-security, or branch-20-append.  The stuff in this category
> is not major (eg HADOOP-6605, better JAVA_HOME detection).

But that's my point:  when is it no longer Apache Hadoop?  How major does a change need to be under the line?    In the case of CDH2 and 3, in order to test it out, I actually had to back out some of Cloudera's "improvements" in order to even test whereas I didn't under Apache.  Is this another place where we only seem to care about APIs and say to hell with the rest of the stack?