HBase, mail # user - Does HBase RegionServer benefit from OS Page Cache

Re: Does HBase RegionServer benefit from OS Page Cache
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2013-03-20, 17:30
First, MSLAB has been enabled by default since 0.92.0 as it was deemed
stable enough. So, unless you are on 0.90, you are already using it.

Also, I'm not sure why you are referencing the HLog in your first
paragraph in the context of reading from disk, because the HLogs are
rarely read (only on recovery). Maybe you meant HFile?

In any case, your email covers most arguments except for one:
checksumming. Retrieving a block from HDFS, even when using short
circuit reads to go directly to the OS instead of passing through the
DN, will take quite a bit more time than reading directly from the
block cache. This is why even if you disable block caching on a family
that the index and root blocks will still be block cached, as reading
those very hot blocks from disk would take way too long.

Regarding your main question (how does the OS buffer help?), I don't
have a good answer. It kind of depends on the amount of RAM you have
and what your workload is like. As a data point, I've been successful
running with 24GB of heap (50% dedicated to the block cache) with a
workload consisting mainly of small writes, short scans, and a typical
random read distribution for a website. I can't remember the last time
I saw a full GC and it's been running for more than a year like this.

Hope this somehow helps,

J-D