Pig >> mail # user >> UDF function help

UDF function help
> I am trying to learn both java and pig programming.. So basically.. not
an ideal combination but things are looking good.. but I am not able to
solve this out..

> In my local environment I dont have pig libraries... but on the
cluster... YES!

> So.. when I do
>
>      import org.apache.pig.EvalFunc;
>
> It is always red lined.. for obvious reasons..
>
> So basically, do i just ignore it and just create a jar file??
>
> or do i do a local download of pig.. import libraries.. write a code..
and then create a jar file.. and then run it?

> Can anyone give me step by step instructions to write a udf..
>
> Basically not on writing udf but how to tackle these issues..Like
>
> 1)    Import libraries (ignore the red lines)
>
> 2)    Write the code..
>
> 3)    Package jar
>
> 4)    Register udf on pig script
>
> 5)    Run the script
>
> It would be awesome if someone can fill in the technical details by
filling the above steps using an example.. wrt my original query which is
how do I import and package udf function (assuming I am able to write the
udf function)

> thanks
+
pablomar 2012-10-24, 19:54