HBase, mail # dev - Porting policy from 0.96+ to 0.94

Re: Porting policy from 0.96+ to 0.94
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2012-08-21, 01:34
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM, lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think a major consideration is that it is possible to do a rolling upgrade from 0.92 to 0.94 and the client/server protocol is unchanged
> (or at least 100% compatible) between all versions of 0.92 and 0.94.

Indeed.

> 0.96 will require a more invasive upgrade, and is overall a riskier release.

Hopefully it won't prevent people from upgrading.

> So how about for 0.94: (1) bug fixes, (2) non invasive performance improvements, in addition to (3) non invasive, small new features if some committer/party shows interest?

That seems to be what we've already been doing, +1 from me.

> There is an easy (without downtime) upgrade path from 0.92 to 0.94, so we *could* be less diligent about backporting to 0.92.

Again I'm +1, we just went through that and not taking downtime was magic.

J-D