Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [DISCUSS] Getting to Hadoop 2.X beta

+
Steve Loughran 2013-04-24, 16:42
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-04-24, 22:38
Re: [DISCUSS] Getting to Hadoop 2.X beta
To add to it, here's what have been experiences as a disconnect during the
release cycle of 2.0.4-alpha using BigTop 0.6.6 as the integration platform and
management stack of choice:

    1. Need for improved feedback from the downstream projects
    2. Need for improved feedback from the DevOps

Which boils down to getting sufficient buy-in from downstreams and devops
communities that they are now willing to consider branch-2 as being landing
spot for their Hadoop 2.X needs.

I belive the recent effort around 2.0.4-alpha and BigTop 0.6.0 might be
sufficient to convince both communities to:
     1. migrate their Hadoop 2.X profiles to at least 2.0.4-alpha
     2. start to run integration tests against Hadoop 2.X profile
     3. start to publish Maven artifacts
     4. in general agree to treat Hadoop 2.X issues with at least
        the same priority as the issues in default profiles are treated (which
        are mostly Hadoop 1.X profiles).

that would be a good start. BigTop can certainly help with a lot of
techicalities and moving parts of the process. That would require tighter
coordination between releases, of course.

The question I don't have an answer for is how to engage DevOps community.

Thoughts?
  Cos