Hadoop >> mail # general >> Homestretch for hadoop-0.22

Re: Homestretch for hadoop-0.22
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 2:29 AM, Konstantin Shvachko
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> We reached the homestretch for hadoop-0.22 release.
> The testing proceeds very well.
> - The builds are building
> - HDFS and MR are running under load well now.
> - We applied pretty simple custom patches to make Hive (7) and Pig (8)
> work with 0.22.
> - HBase (92), which is expected to be released in the near future as I
> hear, is fully compatible with 0.22.

Yes, HBase is the only model citizen here. As for the rest of component
I really would like to figure out what the plan is. Given that the patches
are not big, is there any way Pig and Hive guys can be convinced
to spin a maintenance release? I can certainly help with the logistics.

Right now, Bigtop is at a point where an entire stack based on Hadoop
.22 can be deployed (via puppet) as a single step. That helps a great
deal in validating the release. The problem is, that give Bigtop policies
of not releasing with custom patches (we only package straight Apache
releases) it would be a shame not to have.22 stack available for a single
click install/deployment.

> 2. Assemble build is needed.
> By assemble build I mean a Jenkins target which produces a tarball
> that includes all three sub-projects. It is like a daily build. One of
> this builds is assigned to be release a candidate and then the
> release. We can do it in traditional way, based on scripts developed
> in HADOOP-6846. Or we can try to do it with BigTop.

I can help with that. I was playing with the .22 build assembly yesterday
and it seems that it shouldn't be a problem. I can also test it as a tarball
once it is assembled.

Thanks,
Roman.