HBase >> mail # user >> why does hbase master report hostname and not IP?

Re: why does hbase master report hostname and not IP?
Most hadoop ecosystem daemons use hostname.

One machine can have multiple ip's.  And there is no way to tell what the
correct/authoritative ip is.  Each machine has one and only one host name
(it can have more dns records pointing to it but only on hostname).  Host
name's are supposed to be unique identifiers of the box/machine.  So while
it adds a little work with your dns system to make sure that forward and
reverse dns' match up, it's the more unixy way of naming a machine.