Pig >> mail # dev >> [Discussion] Any thoughts on PIG-3457?

[Discussion] Any thoughts on PIG-3457?
Hi devs,

PIG-3419 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-3419> broke backward
compatibility for downstream applications such as Oozie, and
PIG-3457<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-3457> is
trying to fix it.

In summary, we need to keep the old MR-specific JobStats and PigStats for
backward compatibility sadly because they're currently exposed in several
user-facing API including PigRunner, PigServer, etc. However, this defeats
the purpose of PIG-3419
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-3419> because
we cannot implement non-MR execution engines in the back-end if the
front-end API is tied to MR.

Daniel and I were having a discussion in the jira, but it seems more
complicated than I thought. I am wondering whether anyone has a good
suggestion on how to solve it. This is blocking the 0.12 release.

Thanks,
Cheolsoo