Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Drop version part of jar filenames in $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib

Drop version part of jar filenames in $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib
Why do we need the version part of the filename in $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib?

It seems to me that it would be cleaner to unpack the tarball on top
of an existing $ACCUMULO_HOME/ and overwrite the jars in lib/.

For the RPM/DEB, the versions of the files are tracked in the RPMDB
(or equivalent DEB database), so they aren't needed there either.

It would make our scripts slightly more manageable (files have a
predictable name that doesn't need to be updated each version).

I'm curious what the argument(s) against dropping the version from the
jars in lib/ are.

The way we copy jars currently to lib/ is with the
maven-dependency-plugin, and that already has a built-in feature to
drop the version part of the filename when it copies. It seems to make
sense, and I see no argument against it.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii