Hadoop >> mail # dev >> APIs to move data blocks within HDFS

Re: APIs to move data blocks within HDFS
There's no filesystem (i.e. client) level APIs to do this, but the
Balancer tool of HDFS does exactly this. Reading its sources should
let you understand what kinda calls you need to make to reuse the
balancer protocol and achieve what you need.

In trunk, the balancer is at
hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/server/balancer/Balancer.java

HTH, and feel free to ask any relevant follow up questions.

--
Harsh J