Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] JDK 1.7 - Switch for Accumulo 1.6.0

+
Keith Turner 2013-06-03, 22:05
+
Adam Fuchs 2013-06-03, 21:49
+
Christopher 2013-06-03, 22:10
+
Christopher 2013-06-03, 22:23
+
Sean Busbey 2013-06-03, 22:31
+
Christopher 2013-06-03, 22:39
+
William Slacum 2013-06-03, 22:31
+
Keith Turner 2013-06-03, 22:22
+
Christopher 2013-06-03, 22:15
Re: [VOTE] JDK 1.7 - Switch for Accumulo 1.6.0
Can you clarify what you mean?

- I would be ok with making JDK 1.7 the "default" for Accumulo 1.6.0. I
think this mostly boils down to the JDK which we would be performing our
testing with.
- I don't want to alienate JDK/JRE 1.6 users from using Accumulo 1.6.0,
so I am not in favor of removing the ability to run Accumulo 1.6.0 on
JRE 1.6.

I think the latter is acceptable to me as long as we document/advertise
how one could build Java 1.6 Accumulo 1.6.0 artifacts, if we choose not
to publish them ourselves.

Also, some quick searching leads me to believe that 1.6 bytecode will
run on a 1.7 JVM, but not vice versa. Does anyone know if this is the
case? I apologize if I'm bringing up an already-discussed subject.

On 6/3/13 4:51 PM, Christopher wrote:
> Given all the previous discussions about this, and assuming all points
> and counterpoints have already been sufficiently enumerated, I'd like
> to put it to a vote, explicitly:
>
> Should we switch to JDK 1.7 for Accumulo 1.6.0, to take advantage of
> newer features (ACCUMULO-905), or should we continue to require that
> Accumulo 1.6.0 run on JRE 1.6?
>
> --
> Christopher L Tubbs II
> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii