[VOTE] 0.23.4 release
I have built a 0.23.4-rc0 and am calling a release vote on it. As per the bylaws this vote will be open for 1 week, and will close next Saturday October 6th.

You can access the release through the apache maven staging repo, with the 0.23.4-rc0 tag in subversion, and at http://people.apache.org/~bobby/hadoop-0.23.4-candidate-0/

This release is a sustaining release with several important bug fixes in it.  Most notably upgrading of a 1.0 cluster with append/sync enabled should now work (HDFS-3731).  There are no known blockers against this release, there are only two critical issues.

HADOOP-8811
Compile hadoop native library in FreeBSD

HDFS-3990
NN's health report has severe performance problems

HDFS-3990 only really has a significant impact on large clusters, and can be mitigated by enabling DNS caching.

I have run several manual tests on this release on a small insecure cluster and all of them pass I am a +1 (binding) for this release.

On a side note I am happy to announce that the 0.23 line is being rolled out more widely at Yahoo!.  We just installed 0.23.3 on a 2000 node cluster and have only seen a few issues (HDFS-3990 is the biggest of them).   I expect to do a 0.23.5 release in the coming weeks/months as we find more issues running on large clusters.

--Bobby Evans
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-09-30, 21:28
+
Robert Evans 2012-10-01, 13:48
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-10-01, 20:35
+
Robert Evans 2012-10-01, 20:42
+
Jason Lowe 2012-10-01, 20:53
+
Robert Evans 2012-10-01, 21:05
+
Robert Evans 2012-10-01, 22:44
+
Owen OMalley 2012-10-05, 18:44
+
Arun Murthy 2012-10-05, 18:46
+
Robert Evans 2012-10-05, 19:41
+
Robert Evans 2012-10-08, 15:06
+
Siddharth Seth 2012-10-08, 18:51
+
Robert Evans 2012-10-08, 19:12
+
Aaron T. Myers 2012-10-09, 01:35
+
Siddharth Seth 2012-10-09, 19:03
+
Robert Evans 2012-10-15, 19:55
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2012-10-19, 21:27
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2012-10-19, 21:28
+
Robert Evans 2012-10-22, 17:53
+
Robert Evans 2012-10-22, 18:19
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2012-10-23, 00:04
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-10-23, 01:17
+
Robert Evans 2012-10-23, 15:14
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2012-10-15, 20:05
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-10-09, 13:42
+
Thomas Graves 2012-10-10, 15:47