Hadoop, mail # general - [VOTE] 0.23.4 release

[VOTE] 0.23.4 release
Robert Evans 2012-09-29, 15:35
I have built a 0.23.4-rc0 and am calling a release vote on it. As per the bylaws this vote will be open for 1 week, and will close next Saturday October 6th.

You can access the release through the apache maven staging repo, with the 0.23.4-rc0 tag in subversion, and at http://people.apache.org/~bobby/hadoop-0.23.4-candidate-0/

This release is a sustaining release with several important bug fixes in it.  Most notably upgrading of a 1.0 cluster with append/sync enabled should now work (HDFS-3731).  There are no known blockers against this release, there are only two critical issues.

HADOOP-8811
Compile hadoop native library in FreeBSD

HDFS-3990
NN's health report has severe performance problems

HDFS-3990 only really has a significant impact on large clusters, and can be mitigated by enabling DNS caching.

I have run several manual tests on this release on a small insecure cluster and all of them pass I am a +1 (binding) for this release.

On a side note I am happy to announce that the 0.23 line is being rolled out more widely at Yahoo!.  We just installed 0.23.3 on a 2000 node cluster and have only seen a few issues (HDFS-3990 is the biggest of them).   I expect to do a 0.23.5 release in the coming weeks/months as we find more issues running on large clusters.

--Bobby Evans