Accumulo >> mail # user >> compressing values returned to scanner

+
ameet kini 2012-10-01, 19:03
+
Keith Turner 2012-10-02, 18:24
+
ameet kini 2012-10-02, 18:30
+
ameet kini 2012-10-02, 18:48
+
Keith Turner 2012-10-02, 20:34
+
Keith Turner 2012-10-02, 18:55
+
Marc Parisi 2012-10-01, 19:19
Re: compressing values returned to scanner
If you aren't often looking at the data in the value on the tablet server
(like in an iterator), you can also pre-compress your values on ingest.

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Marc Parisi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You could compress the data in the value, and decompress the data upon
> receipt by the scanner.
>

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM, ameet kini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> My understanding of compression in Accumulo 1.4.1 is that it is on by
>> default and that data is decompressed by the tablet server, so data on the
>> wire between server/client is decompressed. Is there a way to shift the
>> decompression from happening on the server to the client? I have a use case
>> where each Value in my table is relatively large (~ 8MB) and I can benefit
>> from compression over the wire. I don't have any server side iterators, so
>> the values don't need to be decompressed by the tablet server. Also, each
>> scan returns a few rows, so client-side decompression can be fast.
>>
>> The only way I can think of now is to disable compression on that table,
>> and handle compression/decompression in the application. But if there is a
>> way to do this in Accumulo, I'd prefer that.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ameet

+
ameet kini 2012-10-01, 19:40