Home | About | Sematext search-lucene.com search-hadoop.com
NEW: Monitor These Apps!
elasticsearch, apache solr, apache hbase, hadoop, redis, casssandra, amazon cloudwatch, mysql, memcached, apache kafka, apache zookeeper, apache storm, ubuntu, centOS, red hat, debian, puppet labs, java, senseiDB
 Search Hadoop and all its subprojects:

Switch to Threaded View
HBase >> mail # user >> Problem deleting neighboors with timestamp=0


Copy link to this message
-
Re: Problem deleting neighboors with timestamp=0
Hi Chris

So you mean that you have explicitly set the timestamp to 0 for the column
which you did not want to delete?

Regards
Ram

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM, Chris Larsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hello, I was going nuts over an issue where I would try to delete a single
> column but a neighboring column (sorted by the column names in bytes) was
> also being deleted because, I found out, the timestamp for the neighbor was
> set to 0. Here are some of the columns in the row (taken from the shell
> utility)
>
>
>
> hbase(main):002:0> get 'mytable',
> "\x00\x01\xAA\x50\x8E\xC4\x20\x00\x00\x01\x00\x00\xAC"
>
> COLUMN                                  CELL
>
> t:\x00\x17                             timestamp=1351533601998,
> value=\x00\x00\x00\x00O\xB2\xDC[
>
> t:\x00\x17\x03\xD7\x...(long name)     timestamp=0, value=\x00\x00\x...
> lots
> of binary data....
>
> t:\x03\xD7                             timestamp=1351533661458,
> value=\x00\x00\x00\x00O\xB9\xD1\xE5
>
> t:\x07\x97                             timestamp=1351533721758,
> value=\x00\x00\x00\x00O\xBC#\xD0
>
> t:\x0BW                                timestamp=1351533781738,
> value=\x00\x00\x00\x00O\xBD\xB93
>
>
>
> I wanted to delete the column "t:\x00\x17" but every time I did, the column
> "t:\x00\x17\x03\xD7\x..." would also be deleted so that I'd wind up with:
>
>
>
> hbase(main):005:0> get 'mytable',
> "\x00\x01\xAA\x50\x8E\xC4\x20\x00\x00\x01\x00\x00\xAC"
>
> COLUMN                                  CELL
>
> t:\x03\xD7                             timestamp=1351533661458,
> value=\x00\x00\x00\x00O\xB9\xD1\xE5
>
> t:\x07\x97                             timestamp=1351533721758,
> value=\x00\x00\x00\x00O\xBC#\xD0
>
> t:\x0BW                                timestamp=1351533781738,
> value=\x00\x00\x00\x00O\xBD\xB93
>
>
>
> My JAVA code looked like this:
>
>
>
> HTableInterface table = factory.createHTableInterface(config,
> "mytable".getBytes());
>
> Delete delete = new Delete(HexToBytes("0001AA508EC4200000010000AC"));
>
> delete.deleteColumn("t".getBytes(), new byte[] { (byte) 0x00, (byte) 0x17
> });
>
> table.delete(delete);
>
>
>
> as I was typing this out, I noticed that the column I didn't want to delete
> had a timestamp of 0. I put the column back with a valid timestamp and
> tried
> deleting the original column, and it worked properly. I fixed my code to
> always provide a positive timestamp, but my question is, are timestamps set
> to 0 valid for storing data in HBase? And if so, then this may be a bug
> that
> needs addressing. Thanks!
>
>
NEW: Monitor These Apps!
elasticsearch, apache solr, apache hbase, hadoop, redis, casssandra, amazon cloudwatch, mysql, memcached, apache kafka, apache zookeeper, apache storm, ubuntu, centOS, red hat, debian, puppet labs, java, senseiDB