Hadoop >> mail # user >> Pig vs hive performance

+
Abhishek 2012-10-03, 21:52
+
Dan Richelson 2012-10-04, 02:50
+
abhishek dodda 2012-10-04, 03:42
+
TianYi Zhu 2012-10-03, 23:15
Re: Pig vs hive performance
Hi Zhu,

Thanks for the reply.I am running some querys where is slower than pig.

I was also thinking that pig optimizer is better than hive optimizer.

Regards
Abhi

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 3, 2012, at 7:15 PM, TianYi Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> from amazon web site:
> http://aws.amazon.com/elasticmapreduce/faqs/#hive-8
>

> Q: When should I use Hive vs. PIG?
>
> Hive and PIG both provide high level data-processing languages with support
> for complex data types for operating on large datasets. The Hive language
> is a variant of SQL and so is more accessible to people already familiar
> with SQL and relational databases. Hive has support for partitioned tables
> which allow Amazon Elastic MapReduce job flows to pull down only the table
> partition relevant to the query being executed rather than doing a full
> table scan. Both PIG and Hive have query plan optimization. PIG is able to
> optimize across an entire scripts while Hive queries are optimized at the
> statement level.
>
> Ultimately the choice of whether to use Hive or PIG will depend on the
> exact requirements of the application domain and the preferences of the
> implementers and those writing queries.
>

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Abhishek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can we discuss performance of pig vs hive
>>
>> 1) what hive is good at?
>> 2) what pig is good at?
>> 3) Hive optimizer vs pig optimizer
>> 4) hive limitations vs pig limitations