Hadoop >> mail # general >> Build/test infrastructure

Re: Build/test infrastructure

On Feb 26, 2011, at 7:10 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> BTW, Puppet and Chef recipes are very widely used by all sorts of Ops and
> cluster management companies. Perhaps, Maven and shell too - I'm not in a
> position to make a judgement call. I'll let Y! Grid Ops to comment on it -
> they know everything about sizable clusters configuration management and tools
> for the job.

I'm not in Y! Grid Ops, but from where I sit, it sounds like you are solving the wrong problem.

Getting the build machines to be the same should mostly be a one-time issue.  If non-ops-types are messing with the package load, then that's a privilege and process problem not an automation problem.   The success of a configuration management utility is directly correlated to the amount of work that people are willing to put into using them.