MapReduce >> mail # user >> Spindle per Cores

Re: Spindle per Cores
First, the obvious caveat... YMMV

Having said that.

The key here is to take a look across the various jobs that you will run. Some may be more CPU intensive, others more I/O intensive.

If you monitor these jobs via Ganglia, when you have too few spindles you should see the wait cpu rise on the machines in the cluster.  That is to say that you are putting an extra load on the systems because you're waiting for the disks to catch up.

If you increase the ratio of disks to CPU, you should see that load drop as you are not wasting CPU cycles.

Note that its not just the number of spindles, but also the bus and the controller cards that can also affect the throughput of disk I/O.

Now just IMHO, there was a discussion on some of the CPU recommendations. To a point, it doesn't matter that much. You want to maximize the bang for the buck you can get w your hardware purchase.

Use the ratio as a buying guide. Fewer than a ratio of 1 disk per core, and you're wasting the cpu that you bought.

Going higher than a ratio of 1, like 1.5, and you may be buying too many spindles and not see a performance gain that offsets your cost.

Search for a happy medium and don't sweat the maximum performance that you may get.

HTH