MapReduce, mail # user - Choose an distribution

+
Kasi Subrahmanyam 2013-01-28, 03:35
+
Ankam Venkat 2013-01-28, 05:35
Re: Choose an distribution
Al Thompson 2013-01-28, 05:20
Hi Kasi:

I think all three companies have great engineering teams and do excellent
distributions of Hadoop.

Below is my $0.02, and quick-and-dirty analysis of the question.
I don't have hands-on experience with all of these in production, so take
with abundant grains of salt.

* If you want to support production environments and need corporate
support, use Cloudera
* If you want to stay with Hadoop from Apache and stay current with open
source developments, use Hortonworks
* If you need absolute native performance or to run on Microsoft Windows,
use MapR

There are other considerations that may apply, such as choice of real-time
BigData platform (e.g., Storm or Impala),
and whether you want to integrate patches from other sources such as
Facebook's AvatarNode (HDFS-976)
or Prism (patch presumed forthcoming). You and your team are the best
judges of these concerns.

Regards,
Al