HBase, mail # user - Use of MD5 as row keys - is this safe?

Re: Use of MD5 as row keys - is this safe?
Jonathan Bishop 2012-07-23, 16:58
Hi,
Thanks everyone for the informative discussion on this topic.

I think that for project I am involved in I must remove the risk, however
small, of a row key collision, and append the original id (in my case a
long) to the hash, whatever hash I use. I don't want to be in the situation
where occasionally something goes wrong and needing to eliminate the
possibility of a collision.

I was confused by a discussion in a book I was reading on HBase, "HBase in
Action", which used MD5 directly as the row key, leaving the impression
that this was a completely reliable way of creating unique row keys from
strings.

Jon