Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Contributions from github pull requests and license grant

+
Sean Busbey 2013-10-15, 19:50
+
Josh Elser 2013-10-15, 20:03
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-10-15, 20:08
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-10-15, 20:11
Re: Contributions from github pull requests and license grant
It is my understanding that:

The status quo hasn't changed just because we've moved to git.
Committers are still required to perform their due diligence to ensure
that any patch applied has the proper assignment to the ASF. To be
clear, the relevant issue is that patches applied via a pull request
make it easier for committers to overlook that step (because git makes
it so easy!), whereas patches attached to a JIRA are a little more
clear, because by submitting code to JIRA on ASF's infrastructure, one
can assume (unless otherwise stated) that it is owned by the ASF
(although, technically, JIRA doesn't have any Terms of Service stating
this when you sign up for an account... I just checked).

We should have something on our page page that describes a procedure
for explicitly indicating the patch associated with a pull request is
being assigned to the ASF. Perhaps we should just say, "pull requests
are fine, but indicate the assignment explicitly on the ticket
itself".

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Sean Busbey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't recall a discussion happening about granting license to the ASF
> when the repo moved to git. Looking at the git workflow guide[1], I don't
> see any mention of licensing.
>
> In other projects (e.g. Avro[2] and Hive[3]) assigning license to the ASF
> is an important part of submitting a contribution. In those projects,
> people are instructed to attach their patches to an open jira so that
> license can be granted; pull requests from github generally aren't allowed.
>
> Do we have a stance as a project on this? I think those two projects
> basically say that the grant is required by the Apache License itself. Are
> there ASF rules that can provide guidance on this?
>
> -Sean
>
> [1]: http://accumulo.apache.org/git.html
> [2]:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AVRO/How+To+Contribute#HowToContribute-Contributingyourwork