From: Eric Newton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, 3 October 2013 23:52
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Efficient Tablet Merging [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

You should have a major compaction running if your tablet has too many files.  If you don't, something is wrong. It does take some time to re-write 10G of data.

If many merges occurred on a single tablet server, you may have these many-file tablets on the same server, and there are not enough major compaction threads to re-write those files right away.  If that's true, you may wish to restart the tablet server in order to get the tablets pushed to other idle servers.

Again, if you don't have major compactions running, you will want to start looking for other problems.

-Eric