Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Proposed bylaws for the Hadoop project

Re: [VOTE] Proposed bylaws for the Hadoop project
Good idea. +1 for this as a draft version.

1. Seems that Doug's corrections are more in line with the Apache Way, and current hadoop practices +1.

2. I like the definition and phrasing for emeritus in here:
http://portals.apache.org/roles.html
"Emeritus Committers"
which says
- "Any committer that has not participated in the sub-project in the last year
(ie not committed anything in the sub-project repository and not posted anything in the mailing-lists)
will automatically be converted to Emeritus Committer of this sub-project."
- "Any Emeritus Committer of a subproject can ask to become full Committer on the sub-project development list.
He or she will automatically be accepted as Committer without vote."

I propose to use this exact phrasing in Hadoop bylaws.

3. Propose to add "testing" here
- users on the mailing lists, documentation, etc.
+ users on the mailing lists, documentation, testing, etc.

4. Adoption of New Codebase: 2/3 majority; Active committers
This will make very hard to create sub-projects.
Should we replace it with    Lazy Consensus; Active PMC members?
Maintaining codebase is the 1st responsibility of PMC.

--Konstantin