Home | About | Sematext search-lucene.com search-hadoop.com
 Search Hadoop and all its subprojects:

Switch to Threaded View
Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: Heads up - 2.0.5-beta


Copy link to this message
-
Re: Heads up - 2.0.5-beta

On May 1, 2013, at 4:08 PM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:

> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 30, 2013, at 4:28 PM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
>>
>>> If the next release has to be 2.0.5 I would like to make an alternative
>>> proposal, which would include
>>> - stabilization of current 2.0.4
>>> - making all API changes to allow freezing them post 2.0.5
>>> And nothing else.
>>
>> I think it's hard to clearly define - 'nothing else'. For e.g.
> YARN-398/YARN-392. It's a 'feature' but worth putting in right-away since
> it so low-risk. MAPREDUCE-5108 is a 'feature' but is critical for ensuring
> a smooth transition from MR1 to MR2 etc. etc.
>>
>
> Don't see contradictions to the plan here.
> Both YARN-398, YARN-392 are important optimizations. They require API
> changes, so it is better to commit them into 2.0.5. If RM sees a low risk
> in including the implementations, I don't see a problem.
> MAPREDUCE-5108 as a compatibility issue should go in, imho.

Actually, YARN-398/YARN-392 and other such optimizations can go in in future too releases in a compatible manner too since we have PB-based protocols in YARN (as in HDFS).

However, they serve to illustrate why having a very narrow view of 'allowed' changes for the next 3-4 weeks will just add needless complexity.

IAC, like I said it would be better to let individual contributors decide on risk of individual changes since they are the ones supporting them. Having a strict policy leads to all sorts of further dialogues and issues we could do well without.

thanks,
Arun