Accumulo, mail # dev - Generic Supertypes/Pluggable Client

+
Ed Kohlwey 2013-07-05, 11:59
+
Josh Elser 2013-07-05, 12:39
+
Josh Elser 2013-07-05, 13:50
+
Ed Kohlwey 2013-07-05, 14:38
+
Keith Turner 2013-07-05, 17:13
+
Ed Kohlwey 2013-07-05, 14:33
+
Keith Turner 2013-07-05, 16:40
+
Josh Elser 2013-07-05, 17:07
Re: Generic Supertypes/Pluggable Client
Ed Kohlwey 2013-07-05, 17:31
> I would agree that it's desirable to have the same set of argument types
> across the entire client API.
>
> However, this is an entirely separate subject than getting typed values
> back out of Accumulo. Personally, I think this makes much more sense as an
> addition around the Accumulo client API, as there's absolutely nothing that
> *needs* to change in the Accumulo API to support this. Unless the
> implementation filters down to the tabletservers to perform this
> transformation (which opens up an entirely new can of worms), I think I'd
> rather see such an API live on top of Accumulo's and people can use said
> API instead of the regular client API.

In investigating the issue, it seems like the same amount of work (roughly)
is required to standardize the types as to make them pluggable. Why not do
the most flexible thing with that "change capital"? It will also reduce the
API surface for new implementations, which would be nice.
+
Ed Kohlwey 2013-07-05, 17:27
+
Christopher 2013-07-05, 20:29