Pig >> mail # user >> best way for pig and mapreduce jobs to be used interchangeably

best way for pig and mapreduce jobs to be used interchangeably
What are some strategies to have pig and java mapreduce jobs exchange data?  E.g. we find a particular pig script in a chain is too slow and we could optimize with a custom mapreduce job we'd want pig to write the data out in a format that mapreduce could access and vice versa.