Avro >> mail # user >> json2avro

+
Gregory 2013-06-19, 21:34
+
Douglas Creager 2013-06-25, 13:08
Re: json2avro

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, Douglas Creager wrote:

>> json2avro lets you pick from null, snappy, deflate and lzma codecs,
>> specify a custom block size and optionally skips over JSON lines that it
>> is unable to parse. I'm also thinking of adding a target max file size
>> so that it would automatically split output into multiple sizes.
>
> Very cool!  Kind of the reverse of avrocat or avropipe.  We could clean
> it up and add it as another C command-line tool if you like.

Sure I'm all for it!

>> It uses Jansson as the JSON parser which is conveniently bundled with
>> Avro-C. (One thing that I'm not clear on is that Jansson cannot handle
>> nulls, not sure if this is a Jansson-specific limitation or something
>> inherent to JSON.)
>
> Can you elaborate on this?  Jansson should support null JSON values
> (it's the keyword null, not the string value "null").  And the Avro C
> bindings should use that for Avro null values.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Jansson uses null-terminated strings. The docs state
"Normal null terminated C strings are used, so JSON strings may not
contain embedded null characters." I've tested it and indeed, they cannot,
Jansson cannot parse a string like "abc\u0000def".

Grisha
+
Douglas Creager 2013-06-25, 15:10