MapReduce >> mail # user >> How does hadoop decide how many reducers to run?

Re: How does hadoop decide how many reducers to run?
Hi,

First, not enough information.

1) EC2 got it.
2) Which flavor of Hadoop? Is this EMR as well?
3) How many slots did you configure in your mapred-site.xml?

AWS EC2 cores aren't going to be hyperthreaded cores so 8 cores means that you will probably have 6 cores for slots.
With 16 reducers it sounds like you have 4 mappers and 4 reducers or 8 slots set up. (Over subscription is ok if you're not running HBase)

So what are you missing?