HBase >> mail # user >> HBase without compactions?

+
Otis Gospodnetic 2013-02-19, 03:30
+
Stack 2013-02-19, 06:09
+
Michael Segel 2013-02-19, 06:47
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-02-19, 07:12
+
lars hofhansl 2013-02-19, 08:12
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-02-22, 01:15
+
Ted Yu 2013-02-19, 04:54
+
Michael Segel 2013-02-19, 05:46
Re: HBase without compactions?
Hi,

HBASE-7667 sounds like an improvement whose details I don't fully
understand, but not quite the same as compaction elimination.  And I don't
understand HBASE-7667 enough to have the feeling for how much less painful
compactions would become after this.  Any way to quantify that?

Thanks,
Otis
--
HBASE Performance Monitoring - http://sematext.com/spm/index.html

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM, Ted Yu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Take a look at HBASE-7667 Support stripe compaction
>
> Cheers
>
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > It's kind of funny, we run SPM, which includes SPM for HBase (performance
> > monitoring service/tool for HBase essentially) and we currently store all
> > performance metrics in HBase.
> >
> > I see a ton of HBase development activity, which is great, but it just
> > occurred to me that I don't think I recall seeing anything about getting
> > rid of compactions.  Yet, compactions are one thing that I know hurt us
> the
> > most and is one thing that MapR somehow got rid of in their
> implementation.
> >
> > Have there been any discussions,attempts, or thoughts about finding a way
> > to avoid compactions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Otis
> > --