MapReduce >> mail # user >> Container allocation fails randomly

+
Krishna Kishore Bonagiri 2013-09-12, 13:15
+
Omkar Joshi 2013-09-12, 21:29
+
Krishna Kishore Bonagiri 2013-09-17, 09:47
Re: Container allocation fails randomly
This is clearly an AM bug. are you using MR-AM or custom AM? you should
check AM code which is computing progress. I suspect there must be some
float computation problems. If it is an MR-AM problem then please file a
map reduce bug.

Thanks,
Omkar Joshi
*Hortonworks Inc.* <http://www.hortonworks.com>
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Krishna Kishore Bonagiri <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Omkar,
>
>   Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry for not being able to get the
> required logs that you have asked for.
>
>   But in the meanwhile I just wanted to check if you can get a clue with
> the information I have now. I am seeing the following kind of error message
> in AppMaster.stderr whenever this failure is happening. I don't know why
> does it happen, the getProgress() call that I have implemented
> in RMCallbackHandler could never return a negative value! Doesn't this
> error mean that this getProgress() is giving a -ve value?
>
> Exception in thread "AMRM Heartbeater thread"
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Progress indicator should not be
> negative
>         at
> com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkArgument(Preconditions.java:88)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.yarn.client.api.impl.AMRMClientImpl.allocate(AMRMClientImpl.java:199)
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.yarn.client.api.async.impl.AMRMClientAsyncImpl$HeartbeatThread.run(AMRMClientAsyncImpl.java:224)
>
> Thanks,
> Kishore
>

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Omkar Joshi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> Can you give more information? logs (complete) will help a lot around
>> this time frame. Are the containers getting assigned via scheduler? is it
>> failing when node manager tries to start container? I clearly see the
>> diagnostic message is empty but do you see anything in NM logs? Also if
>> there were running containers on the machine before launching new ones..
>> then are they killed? or they are still hanging around? can you also try
>> applying patch "https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-1053" ? and
>> check if you can see any message?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Omkar Joshi
>> *Hortonworks Inc.* <http://www.hortonworks.com>
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 6:15 AM, Krishna Kishore Bonagiri <
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>   I am using 2.1.0-beta and have seen container allocation failing
>>> randomly even when running the same application in a loop. I know that the
>>> cluster has enough resources to give, because it gave the resources for the
>>> same application all the other times in the loop and ran it successfully.
>>>
>>>    I have observed a lot of the following kind of messages in the node
>>> manager's log whenever such failure happens, any clues as to why it happens?
>>>
>>> 2013-09-12 08:54:36,204 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.NodeStatusUpdaterImpl: Sending
>>> out status for container: container_id { app_attempt_id { application_id {
>>> id: 2 cluster_timestamp: 1378990400253 } attemptId: 1 } id: 1 } state:
>>> C_RUNNING diagnostics: "" exit_status: -1000
>>> 2013-09-12 08:54:37,220 INFO
>>> org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.NodeStatusUpdaterImpl: Sending
> [...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Krishna Kishore Bonagiri 2013-09-19, 05:55