Flume >> mail # user >> HDFS Sink keeps .tmp files and closes with exception

+
Nishant Neeraj 2012-10-18, 20:18
+
Bhaskar V. Karambelkar 2012-10-18, 22:39
+
Hari Shreedharan 2012-10-18, 23:00
+
Nishant Neeraj 2012-10-19, 20:29
+
Hari Shreedharan 2012-10-19, 20:37
Re: HDFS Sink keeps .tmp files and closes with exception
Hari,
There are 2 sides to this problem,
The flume side issue was fixed in 1.2.0, FLUME-1163.
But the solution in FLUME-1163, requires that the Hadoop Libraries
used with flume, support the 'fs.automatic.shutdown' flag.
Unfortunately hadoop 1.x branch, does not have that feature pulled in

So if you use flume with hadoop libs from 1.x series, you'll still get
the .tmp files leftover, and the exception mentioned.

CDH3u5, does indeed pull in HADOOP-4829, so flume + CDH3u5 works
correctly and the files get properly closed at flume shutdown.

Do note, that this is a Hadoop Client side problem, so on your hadoop
cluster you can use 1.x version, and connect to it using flume +
CDH3u5 combo, and that should work as long as CDH3u5 libs are able to
talk with Hadoop 1.x cluster. But usually hadoop even on client side
is very picky about versions.

Here's a mail thread, where I discussed this before.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/flume-user/201208.mbox/%3CCAJLbxRad_DUuz3NrPBQo4gtqAdq%2BCLBUvD2_q7-0%2B-L8Afax_A%40mail.gmail.com%3E

I can say with certainty, that if you use HDFS 1.x client side, the
.tmp files will not be renamed at shutdown, and you will get
exceptions as mentioned in the original mail.

thanks
Bhaskar

+
Hari Shreedharan 2012-10-20, 00:13