Drill >> mail # dev >> AWS AMI for Drill M1

AWS AMI for Drill M1
All,

talked with Tim on the hangout about setting up a standalone instance of drill and publishing that as an Amazon AMI. The purpose of this is just to experiment with AWS so that Tim can carry forward with the AWS cluster setup. If I can later clear up the JAVA_HOME thing mentioned below, we could point to it as an alternative for a easy environment for trying Drill out.

So ...

The AMI is "ami-1343167a" and its name is "Drill M1 standalone", but you should find it using the ID in "EC2 / Images / AMIs". I launched it as t1.micro instance, and at least it was able to start up sqlline. Amazon says t1.micro has 615mb RAM.
Running it:
Make sure you're pointing to the correct Java version:
$ sudo alternatives --config java
(pick the one that points to Java 1.7)

Somehow the JAVA_HOME got messed up after the first-ever execution of sqlline. So you need to:
$ JAVA_HOME=/usr/bin/java

That's all there is to it.
$ cd /home/ec2-user/apache-drill-1.0.0-m1
$ bin/sqlline
Installation log … Sort of:
$ cd /home/ec2-user

$ sudo yum install java-1.7.0-openjdk-devel
(I'm not sure if JDK is needed or just the JRE, so I put the JDK. This can also be the source of the java problems above…)

$ curl http://people.apache.org/~jacques/apache-drill-1.0.0-m1.rc3/apache-drill-1.0.0-m1-binary-release.tar.gz > apache-drill-1.0.0-m1-binary-release.tar.gz

$ tar -zxf apache-drill-1.0.0-m1-binary-release.tar.gz

Cheers,
-Harri
+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-24, 21:02