Drill, mail # dev - Canonical examples

+
Ben Becker 2013-09-10, 16:52
+
Yash Sharma 2013-09-10, 16:58
+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-10, 17:37
Re: Canonical examples
Ben Becker 2013-09-10, 18:22
TPC-DS is modeled after a retail product supplier.  I'm hesitant to use the
actual TPC-DS schemata though, since it's not optimized for concise
explanation (e.g. hungarian notation-esque column names).

I think the donut shop metaphor could be adapted to a similar set of
queries (they are both retail product suppliers, after all).  There are
still some subtle nuances though; for example, it may not make as much
sense for a donut shop to accept returns. :)

How about a hardware store (perhaps one that sells lots of drills)?

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Ted Dunning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think that the donut examples are too small and limited to be interesting
> beyond the issues presented by nested data.
>
> The TPC derived data like nations and regions provides a bunch of other
> examples such as grouping, joins and correlated sub-queries.  Creating
> additional examples when we already have what we need doesn't seem all that
> important.  I can be proved wrong if somebody instantly comes up with
> examples that are donut themed and provide all of the necessary examples.
>
> It should also be noted that we are going to wind up with examples from
> TPC-DS which a realistic snowflake schema and volume.  Restating all of
> those examples in terms of donuts is a whole lot more work than restating
> two files.  So we are eventually going to have to give up on donut purity.
>  Why not now?
>

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Ben Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > As we continue to update Drill's user documentation, I think it's
> important
> > that everything is consistent and cohesive.  One way to move toward this
> > goal is to use a single metaphor in our examples.  In the existing
> > documentation, this has primarily been a donut store.
> >
> > Are there any objections or concerns about continuing with this metaphor?
> >  Please feel free to propose a new metaphor if you think it will help our
> > users.
> >
> > Note that this is not meant to be a binding decision, and does not
> preclude
> > other types of examples when appropriate.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Ben

+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-10, 19:58