Pig >> mail # dev >> Move pig project from svn to git repository

Re: Move pig project from svn to git repository
Sure, I'm more interested in how our patch-file-based contribution process
would be improved by moving to git.
I'm not against it but I'd like we think this through.
So my question is:
How would someone contribute once we move to git? How do they attach their
work to a jira? (patch file, pointer to a branch?)
Only committers would be able to create branches in the apache git repo,
would we save the contribution in a branch for that jira or do we still ask
for file patches ?