Hive >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive

+
Alan Gates 2012-11-02, 20:52
+
Namit Jain 2012-11-05, 04:35
+
Alan Gates 2012-11-06, 17:55
+
Namit Jain 2012-11-07, 04:06
+
Alan Gates 2012-11-12, 17:02
+
Namit Jain 2012-11-15, 06:22
+
Alan Gates 2012-12-03, 23:22
+
Edward Capriolo 2012-12-13, 19:59
+
Travis Crawford 2012-12-14, 01:31
+
Namit Jain 2012-12-14, 03:59
+
Carl Steinbach 2012-12-14, 18:05
+
Alan Gates 2012-12-18, 21:13
+
Travis Crawford 2012-12-19, 01:36
+
Carl Steinbach 2012-12-19, 19:33
+
Namit Jain 2012-12-20, 04:23
+
Ashish Thusoo 2012-12-20, 13:58
+
Carl Steinbach 2012-12-20, 22:02
+
Ashish Thusoo 2012-12-20, 23:56
+
Bhandarkar, Milind 2012-12-27, 05:22
+
Bhandarkar, Milind 2012-12-27, 05:18
+
Bhandarkar, Milind 2012-12-20, 21:10
+
Carl Steinbach 2012-12-20, 21:59
+
Ashish Thusoo 2012-12-20, 23:53
+
Alan Gates 2013-01-08, 21:49
+
Bhandarkar, Milind 2012-12-27, 05:15
Re: [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive
Namit,

I was not proposing that promotion to full committership would be automatic.  I assume it would still be done via a vote by the PMC.  I agree that we cannot _guarantee_ committership for HCat committers in 6-9 months.  But I am trying to lay out a clear path they can follow.  If they don't follow the path then they won't be committers.  I am also trying to make it non-preferential in that I am setting the criteria to be what I believe the Hive PMC would expect any prospective Hive committer to do.  The only intended preferential part of the proposal is the Hive shepherds, which we have all agreed is a good idea.

Alan.

On Dec 19, 2012, at 8:23 PM, Namit Jain wrote:

> I don’t agree with the proposal. It is impractical to have a Hcat committer
> with commit access to Hcat only portions of Hive. We cannot guarantee that
> a Hcat
> committer will become a Hive committer in 6-9 months, that depends on what
> they do
> in the next 6-9 months.
>
> The current Hcat committers should spend more time in reviewing patches,
> work on non-Hcat areas in Hive, and then gradually become a hive
> committer. They should not be given any preferential treatment, and the
> process should be same as it would be for any other hive contributor
> currently. Given that the expertise of the Hcat committers, they should
> be inline for becoming a hive committer if they continue to work in hive,
> but that cannot be guaranteed. I agree that some Hive committers should try
> and help the existing Hcat patches, and again that is voluntary and
> different
> committers cannot be assigned to different parts of the code.
>
> Thanks,
> -namit
>

> On 12/20/12 1:03 AM, "Carl Steinbach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Alan's proposal sounds like a good idea to me.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> On Dec 18, 2012 5:36 PM, "Travis Crawford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Alan, I think your proposal sounds great.
>>>
>>> --travis

>>> PPMC at this point, I am coming to agree with you that HCat integrating
>>> with Hive fully makes more sense.

>>> Namit, I think the shepherd proposal needs to lay out a clear and time
>>> bounded path to committership for HCat committers.  Having HCat
>>> committers
>>> as second class Hive citizens for the long run will not be healthy.  I
>>> propose the following as a starting point for discussion:

>>> patch in the last 6 months) will be made committers in the HCat portion
>>> only of Hive.  In addition those committers will be assigned a
>>> particular
>>> shepherd who is a current Hive committer and who will be responsible for
>>> mentoring them towards full Hive committership.  As a part of this
>>> mentorship the HCat committer will review patches of other contributors,
>>> contribute patches to Hive (both inside and outside of HCatalog),
>>> respond
>>> to user issues on the mailing lists, etc.  It is intended that as a
>>> result
>>> of this mentorship program HCat committers can become full Hive
>>> committers
>>> in 6-9 months.  No new HCat only committers will be elected in Hive
>>> after
>>> this.  All Hive committers will automatically also have commit rights on
>>> HCatalog.

>>> other
>>> will
>>> release