HBase >> mail # user >> ScannerTimeoutException

Re: ScannerTimeoutException
Hi Geoff,

we are having these issues when the scanner uses scan.addColumn() and
the column is sparse, in the sense there are many rows with some other
column in the same column family. I suppose your problems will vanish if
you use scan.addFamily() call instead. The same behavior may appear if
you are reading from region after massive delete (then the timeouts
settle down after major compation), or when using server side Filters.

Changing scan.addColumn() to scan.addFamily() brings some overhead,
which I think could be removed by RegionServer renewing the lease of
scanner while reading data, not only after first entry to
HRegionServer.next().

Would this be worth opening a JIRA?

Jan