Avro >> mail # user >> Speed improvements for reflection-based serialization

Speed improvements for reflection-based serialization
Hi,

I've played a bit with Avro serialization based on reflection, i.e. with the classes from org.apache.avro.generic package.
It works fine in this mode, but is rather slow compared to such frameworks like protostuff or kryo.
Quick look at the source code has shown that a lot of reflection-based operations and class lookups are not cached. And such operations are usually pretty expensive when executed by a JVM.

So I changed some of org.apache.avro.generic classes, introduced caching and a few other optimizations. Now it seems to perform much better.
I could submit my patch for a review, if anyone is interested in such improvements. I'm new to Avro, but I got the impression that Voldermont and may be a few other BigData projects are using it? May be they are interested, though I don't know if they use this reflection-based serialization.

Best Regards,
  Leo
+
Doug Cutting 2013-03-21, 16:30