Avro >> mail # user >> Avro RPC

+
Mark 2013-05-29, 16:30
Avro RPC can be _dramatically_ more compact, especially when used over a persistent connection.  We use binary avro RPC over a WebSocket connection.  The overhead for each request is a tiny blob of metadata and the message name.  This compares very favorably with a full set of HTTP headers for each message.  Another advantage we see is that with a persistent connection we can handle responses asynchronously; quickly serviced requests don't have to wait for slow ones.  It all depends on the details of your use case, however.
--
Connor

On May 29, 2013, at 11:30, Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Very basic question but could one explain why one would choose Avro RPC over something like a simple restful service over HTTP?
>
> The only thing I can think of is it adds a little more structure to the request/response and slightly more compact. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank. As far as the response goes though, couldn't you simply return an Avro message from a restful http service and have the client parse it if you wanted more structure?
>
> Thanks for the clarification
>
> -M
+
Mark 2013-05-29, 17:50