Avro, mail # dev - [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.3.0 (rc 2)
Matt Massie 2010-02-24, 19:05
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Doug Cutting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Matt Massie wrote:
>
>> Part of creating a distributable artifact that is guaranteed to work with
>> simple './configure;make' is building the code and running all the unit
>> tests inside the newly generated package.
>>

> That was not my intent for the 'dist' target.  The 'dist' target is meant
> to only generate artifacts for distribution.  One should run tests before
> one distributes, but the 'dist' target should not itself run those tests.
Running the tests inside the build directory and running the tests inside
the newly generated package/tarball are two different things.  It's possible
for unit tests to pass in the source directory and fail when generating the
distributable tarball (e.g. failed to include a source file in the
manifest).  The tests are not just testing source.  They are testing
building the source in a particular build environment/ directory structure.

Currently running 'make clean distcheck' takes 47 secs on my Macbook.
 That's a small price to pay for piece of mind in my opinion.

-Matt