Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: Compatibility in Apache Hadoop

+
Steve Loughran 2013-04-23, 16:00
+
Karthik Kambatla 2013-04-23, 20:09
Re: Compatibility in Apache Hadoop
At the risk of hijacking this conversation a bit, what do you think of the
notion of moving interfaces like Seekable and PositionedReadable into a new
foundational Maven module, perhaps just for such interfaces that define and
tag support for core semantics, as their details are better defined and
documented? I was involved in a discussion today considering factoring out
the codecs so other ecosystem projects might pull in only codec code.
Similar to how hadoop-auth is slender and has a useful servlet filter
implementing SPEGNO authentication, and so it is pulled into various
places, and can even be used with Hadoop 1. The only thing preventing a
clean separation of codecs like this is imports of Seekable and
PositionedReadable. But these define behavior, they don't implement it.

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)
+