HDFS >> mail # user >> Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release

+
Schad, Bjoern-Bernhard 2013-06-14, 10:00
+
Alexander Alten-Lorenz 2013-06-14, 10:10
Re: Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release
Excuse the typo, should be :
Normally, when you change the >major< release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.

On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Alexander Alten-Lorenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Björn,
>
>> has it ever happened that a migration of persistent data has been needed (or automatically executed) when updating a Hadoop installation within a release? If so, where could I find information regarding such needed migration?
>
> Normally, when you change the minor release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback). This will happen when you switch major branches.
>
>> I would be interested because the runtime of such migration would probably depend on the amount of managed data and had to be planned.
> Depends how much data you've stored. Michael has written a excellent blog post about:
> http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2011/08/23/performing-an-hdfs-upgrade-of-an-hadoop-cluster/
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Alten-Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com
Schad, Bjoern-Bernhard 2013-06-14, 11:13
+
Alexander Alten-Lorenz 2013-06-14, 11:23