Pig, mail # user - tar.gz to cdh3 package

+
William Oberman 2011-07-08, 18:57
+
Dmitriy Ryaboy 2011-07-08, 19:00
+
William Oberman 2011-07-08, 19:01
Re: tar.gz to cdh3 package
William Oberman 2011-07-08, 19:04
Sorry, to be more verbose, CDH3 actually respects permissions inside of
HDFS, and creates special users called "hdfs" and "mapred" to keep things
safe.  I'm guessing by default when I did the non-package install, I didn't
enable permissions and/or installed everything as the same user so I didn't
matter.

So, that makes getting the permissions right for /tmp more important, but I
didn't think the hadoop crowd would care since it's pig that causes the
write to that location.  But a newbie pig user might need the FYI....

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM, William Oberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I thought pig is the one trying to write to /tmp inside of hadoop?
>
> will
>

> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Dmitriy Ryaboy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Seems like a question you should ask Cloudera?
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 11:57 AM, William Oberman
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I tried out hadoop/pig in my test environment using tar.gz's.  Before I
>> roll
>> > out to production, I thought I'd try the cdh3 pacakges, as that might be
>> > easier to maintain (since I'm not a sysadmin).  Following cloudera's
>> install
>> > guide worked like a charm, but I couldn't get pig to run until I did
>> this:
>> >
>> > sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -mkdir /tmp
>> > sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chmod 777 /tmp
>> >
>> > Maybe I missed the hows & whys of that setting in the install
>> guide/forums,
>> > but just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else that gets "ERROR 6002:
>> > Unable to obtain a temporary path." and is puzzled at why...
>> >
>> > will

+
Daniel Dai 2011-07-12, 17:31
+