Pig >> mail # user >> tar.gz to cdh3 package

+
William Oberman 2011-07-08, 18:57
+
Dmitriy Ryaboy 2011-07-08, 19:00
+
William Oberman 2011-07-08, 19:01
Re: tar.gz to cdh3 package
Sorry, to be more verbose, CDH3 actually respects permissions inside of
HDFS, and creates special users called "hdfs" and "mapred" to keep things
safe.  I'm guessing by default when I did the non-package install, I didn't
enable permissions and/or installed everything as the same user so I didn't
matter.

So, that makes getting the permissions right for /tmp more important, but I
didn't think the hadoop crowd would care since it's pig that causes the
write to that location.  But a newbie pig user might need the FYI....

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM, William Oberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I thought pig is the one trying to write to /tmp inside of hadoop?
>
> will
>

> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Dmitriy Ryaboy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Seems like a question you should ask Cloudera?
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 11:57 AM, William Oberman
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I tried out hadoop/pig in my test environment using tar.gz's.  Before I
>> roll
>> > out to production, I thought I'd try the cdh3 pacakges, as that might be
>> > easier to maintain (since I'm not a sysadmin).  Following cloudera's
>> install
>> > guide worked like a charm, but I couldn't get pig to run until I did
>> this:
>> >
>> > sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -mkdir /tmp
>> > sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chmod 777 /tmp
>> >
>> > Maybe I missed the hows & whys of that setting in the install
>> guide/forums,
>> > but just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else that gets "ERROR 6002:
>> > Unable to obtain a temporary path." and is puzzled at why...
>> >
>> > will

+
Daniel Dai 2011-07-12, 17:31
+