HBase >> mail # user >> how many severs in a hbase cluster

+
myhbase 2013-06-22, 14:21
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-06-22, 14:29
+
Mohammad Tariq 2013-06-22, 14:35
Re: how many severs in a hbase cluster
Oh, you already have heavyweight's input :).

Thanks JM.

Warm Regards,
Tariq
cloudfront.blogspot.com
On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Mohammad Tariq <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
>         IMHO, 5-8 servers are sufficient enough to start with. But it's
> all relative to the data you have and the intensity of your reads/writes.
> You should have different strategies though, based on whether it's 'read'
> or 'write'. You actually can't define 'big' in absolute terms. My cluster
> might be big for me, but for someone else it might still be not big enough
> or for someone it might be very big. Long story short it depends on your
> needs. If you are able to achieve your goal with 5-8 RSs, then having more
> machines will be a wastage, I think.
>
> But you should always keep in mind that HBase is kinda greedy when it
> comes to memory. For a decent load 4G is sufficient, IMHO. But it again
> depends on operations you are gonna perform. If you have large clusters
> where you are planning to run MR jobs frequently you are better off with
> additional 2G.
>

> Warm Regards,
> Tariq
> cloudfront.blogspot.com
>

> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 7:51 PM, myhbase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I learn hbase almost from papers and books, according to my
>> understanding, HBase is the kind of architecture which is more appliable
>> to a big cluster. We should have many HDFS nodes, and many HBase(region
>> server) nodes. If we only have several severs(5-8), it seems hbase is
>> not a good choice, please correct me if I am wrong. In addition, how
>> many nodes usually we can start to consider the hbase solution and how
>> about the physic mem size and other hardware resource in each node, any
>> reference document or cases? Thanks.
>>
>> --Ning

+
myhbase 2013-06-22, 15:01