HDFS >> mail # user >> Encryption in HDFS

Encryption in HDFS
Hello, I'm a university student.

I implemented AES and Triple DES with CompressionCodec in java cryptography
architecture (JCA)
The encryption is performed by a client node using Hadoop API.
Map tasks read blocks from HDFS and these blocks are decrypted by each map
tasks.
I tested my implementation with generic HDFS.
My cluster consists of 3 nodes (1 master node, 3 worker nodes) and each
machines have quad core processor (i7-2600) and 4GB memory.
A test input is 1TB text file which consists of 32 multiple text files (1
text file is 32GB)

I expected that the encryption takes much more time than generic HDFS.
The performance does not differ significantly.
The decryption step takes about 5-7% more than generic HDFS.
The encryption step takes about 20-30% more than generic HDFS because it is
implemented by single thread and executed by 1 client node.
So the encryption can get more performance.

May there be any error in my test?

I know there are several implementation for encryting files in HDFS.
Are these implementations enough to secure HDFS?

best regards,

seonpark

* Sorry for my bad english