Hive >> mail # user >> Overwrite by selected data from table itself?

+
Bhathiya Jayasekara 2013-05-29, 09:16
Re: Overwrite by selected data from table itself?
i think it's a clever idea.   Can you reproduce this behavior via a simple
example and show it here?   I ran a test on hive 0.80 and it worked as you
would expect.

Regards,
Stephen.

hisql>select * from junk;
+-----+
| _c0 |
+-----+
| 1   |
+-----+
1 affected

hisql>insert overwrite table junk select * from junk where '_c0' != 1;

hisql>select count(*) from junk;
+-----+
| _c0 |
+-----+
| 0   |
+-----+
1 affected
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Bhathiya Jayasekara
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have this scenario to remove certain rows from a hive table. As far as I
> understand, hive doesn't provide that functionality.
>
> So, I'm trying to select inverse of what I want to delete and overwrite
> the table with that. What do you think of this approach?
>
> I tried to do it but seems it doesn't work as I expect. All data is still
> available in the table. what's the reason if it's the correct behavior?
>
> Thanks.

+
Felix.徐 2013-05-30, 01:42